23 Feb Lamplighter Reading Program—April 8 Deadline
An exciting program that the Upper School Media Center offers to the middle school students is the Lamplighter Award Reading Program. The Lamplighter Program encourages middle school students to read books with wholesome values, uplifting characters, and edifying themes that inspire children toward positive goals.
These current books are selected by a committee of readers from participating schools. Students that have read five or more Lamplighter books are invited to a pizza and ice cream sundae lunch in April and then vote for their favorite book. Each vote is then submitted to the national voting website. Students that read all ten of the nominees are given a medal for their accomplishment.
Parents of students in Grades 6 to 8, please encourage your son or daughter to read Lamplighters before April 8.
Triple Crown Awards Lamplighter List for 2015–2016:
- I Survived True Stories: Five Epic Disasters by Lauren Tarshis
- Perfect Season by Tim Green
- Half a World Away by Cynthia Kadohata
- The History of Money Making: From Bartering to Banking by Martin Jenkins
- Three Bird Summer by Sarah St. Antoine
- Wind Dancer by Chris Platt
- What Flowers Remember by Shannon Wiersbitzy
- Byrd & Igloo: A Polar Adventure by Samantha Sieple
- The Elk Hunt: The Adventure Begins by S.J. Dahlstrom
- The Hidden Deep by Christa Kinde